This arose from an attempt to augment the readings in the syllabus for the Knight Center online course in data-driven journalism. Some other students helped me with suggestions and revisions. Thanks and follow #datajmooc!
- Cairo, Alberto. "The Functional Art" (book and blog: thefunctionalart.com)
Cairo's reading list (which he says is in need of updating)
- Visualising Data's "Best of the Visualisation Web"
- Data Looks Better Naked: Clear explanation about why less is more in data visualization
- Lisa Williams' blog, "Data for Radicals"
- Pete Wardern, "Why You Should Never Trust a Data Visualization"
- Brian Suda, "Designing with Data"
- Dataversed's Notes on: Data Visualization – A Successful Design Process by Andy Kirk
- Misconceptions About Designing with Data
- History of data journalism at The Guardian
- Poynter's Guide to Computer-Assisted Reporting
- Meyer, Philip. "Precision Journalism" Indiana University Press, Bloomington. 4th Edition. 2002
- Horvit, Mark. "To be an effective reporter, get more comfortable with data"
- "20 tools and apps for digital journalists" from Sarah Marshall
Journalism in General
- Wheelan, Charles. "Naked Statistics"
- Goldacre, Ben. "Bad Science"
- Cohen, Sarah. "Numbers in the Newsroom"
- Cohm Victor. "News and Numbers" Iowa State University Press, Ames. 1989.
Huff, Darrell, "How to Lie with Statistics" W. W. Norton & Company, New York. 1954 (renewed 1984)
- Paulos, John Allen. "Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences" Vintage Books, New York. 1990.
- Paulos, John Allen. "A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper" Anchor Books,
New York. 1995. (Also, check out the tape from Paulos keynote address at
NICAR 2002 in Philadelphia)
Data Visualization Tools
- Data wrapper: - http://datawrapper.de/
- Highcharts: http://www.highcharts.com/demo